If you’re headed out on the road this holiday season chances are you’re struggling to find great snack options in an ever-unhealthy world. I’m sure most of us remember road trips with the family being full of convenience store stops so we could fill up on ‘junk’ and head off again. Chances are this holiday season you’ll find yourself making a few pit stops at convenience stores and I’m willing to bet you’ll find yourself pleasantly surprised at all of the new healthier snack and beverage options now out on C-Store shelves. If you’ve been into any convenience stores lately, I’m sure you’ve noticed healthier options like fresh fruit and yogurt, but the options go so much deeper than that! I’ve put together a travel basket of our favorite goodies that you can find at most C-Stores nationwide so your basket can be replenished along the way, and who knows, maybe you’ll even find some great items I happened to miss!
HEALTHY OPTIONS are some of the most important to keep in mind (I toss these in before we head out so our basket is complete with balanced options for everyone):
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are often by the cash register or in a refrigerated case, either served whole or in a convenient size to fit into a cupholder.
- Nuts and dried fruits are popular snacks, and many come in cups or resealable pouches for easy transportation.
- Bottled water is a staple we all take along on road trips and needs to be restocked along the trip. Convenience stores sell approximately 50 percent of the country’s single-serve bottled water!
- Oikos Nonfat Yogurt Drinks is a new line of deliciously smooth, drinkable yogurts that pack in 10 grams of protein without any added sugar, artificial sweeteners or fat.
ALTERNATIVE SNACKS continue to gain popularity as we all strive to seek out high-protein energy-rick snacks:
- Think Thin Protein Cakes are available in delicious classic cake flavors, and they provide a balanced way to satisfy sweet cravings. Each cake has 12 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar, and they’re gluten- and GMO-free!
- ZonePerfect Revitalize Bars get your mind and body moving with energizing green tea extract, choline and caffeine, while super scrumptious flavors make your taste buds happy.
- PowerBar Plant Protein Bars are made with protein from plant=based ingredients and nuts, with no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners. Available in three amazing flavors: Dark Chocolate Almond & Sea Salt, Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Cashew, and Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter.
MERGING FLAVORS is a hot trend in snacking-whether sweet and spicy, sweet and sour, or sweet and salty.
- Skittles Sweet Heat is spicing things up this December! Each pack features fruity flavors with a spicy kick including: Fiery Watermelon, Blazin’ Mango, Flamin’ Orange, Sizzlin’ Strawberry, and Lemon Spark.
- Snickers Peanut Butter Crisper also debuting in December, provides the perfect balance of
sweet, salty, creamy and crispy. The satisfaction of real peanut butter with the crunch of
crisp, it comes in four squares that fans are sure to love.
- Trolli Twisted Sour Brite Crawlers are chewy on the outside and soft on the inside, with
a burst of sour berry flavor for a totally unique texture and flavor experience. Flavors
include blue raspberry, strawberry, and green apple.
FUNCTIONAL BEVERAGES quench thirst while packing protein, vitamins or other nutrients. We’re always multi-tasking, why shouldn’t our beverages multi-task too?
- Pedialyte Powder Packets are formulated to help prevent dehydration from an illness,
travel, heat exhaustion or even alcohol consumption. And that’s why adults and teens
now comprise 36% of Pedialyte consumption.
- Vitamin Water Active Nutrient Enhanced Performance Drinks offer 100% RDA of
vitamins B5, B6 and B12 to support energy metabolism and electrolytes from natural
sources like coconut water and sea salt.
GOURMET SNACKS AND TREATS are available at convenience stores, rewarding those of us seeking
indulgence while we’re out on the road:
- Pearson Ranch introduces exciting and fun Character Bags of savory Elk, Buffalo,
Venison and Wild Boar Jerky. Each resealable bag includes 2.1 ounces of bite-size pieces
of jerky, which is made with premium quality lean meats and contain no gluten, nitrites
- SmashMallow is a sweet-tooth satisfying pick-me- up made with organic cane sugar and
simple naturally sourced ingredients. It’s a guilt-free indulgence at around 80 calories
and less than 1 gram of fat on average per serving.
ENERGY BOOSTING BEVERAGES are a MUST for this tired mom when we’re on a long road trip. Only problem is…warm liquids make me sleepy and tired. Cold energy boosting drinks are a great option whether you’re a tea or coffee drinker:
- Heyday Cold-Brew Coffee is crafted by soaking the coffee grounds from Fair Trade beans
in cool water for several hours, then triple-filtering it, and adding a touch of pure cane
sugar and a splash of cream for a refreshingly light, smooth taste. Choose from Original,
Espresso, Chocolate and Vanilla.
- Celsius is a fitness drink that accelerates metabolism, burns body fat, and provides
healthy energy. The product is loaded with vitamins and good-for- you ingredients, such
as Green Tea with EGCG, Guarana, Ginger, Calcium, B Vitamins and Vitamin C.
Keep an eye out for these and SO MANY other great options at your convenience store stops this holiday season. Safe travels and happy snacking 🙂
***I did not receive any financial compensation, simply the product free to me in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion***